Welcome to the Unitarian Universalist Church, Tippecanoe County
- Sunday Forum 9 am; Sunday Service and Religious Exploration Classes 10:30 am.
- Nursery and childcare available.
- Read or print this bulletin as a pdf. Some additional information is posted here, including the monthly calendar of events at the church.
Sunday December 14
- FORUM, 9 AM Chris Campbell, Indiana State Licensed Audiologist since 1992, will discuss aspects of her job as an Audiologist at Lafayette ENT where she’s worked primarily with vertigo patients since 2009. Topics include hearing loss, hearing aids, cochlear implants and balance disorders. Forum is co-chaired by Jim Anderson, Tom McConville and Bill Welge.
- SERVICE, 10:30 Rev. Daniel Charles Davis presents “Rights and Responsibility.” Thomas Paine’s “The Rights of Man” was one of the great treatises of the age of enlightenment. It led to the passage of the US Bill of Rights on December 15, 1791. But rights come with responsibility. Having the right to vote gives one the responsibility to vote. The right to be a part of a church community gives one the responsibility to participate. Worship Associate, Dorothy Hughes. Sound, Mike Marsh. Pulpit Preparation, Nina Kirkpatrick. Fellowship Team Leaders, Alice Pawley and Stephen Hoffmann.
Sunday December 21
- FORUM, 9 AM Margy Deverall presents “Small Spaces,” a public art installation project that seeks to integrate street art into communities by focusing on small, neglected spaces.
- SERVICE, 10:30 AM Religious Exploration Children’s Pageant today! “Holidays A-Z.” Rev. Daniel Charles Davis, worship leader; Nicole Rice, DRE, Worship Associate. Pianist, Sarah May. Sound, Gary Fowler. Pulpit Preparation, Nina Kirkpatrick. Fellowship Team Leader: Julia Colby.
Child and youth religious exploration
Last Sunday, some of the 5th-8th grade students went on a shopping field trip to purchase toys for the LUM Christmas Jubilee. We had a great time picking out special toys for each child. This Sunday, the RE classes are rehearsing for the holiday program. Rehearsals will be held on Sunday, December 14th during regular RE class time and on Sunday, December 21st at 9:00am. Students will meet in the RE classrooms on the 14thand in the sanctuary on the 21st. Please let me know if you need a copy of the roles, costume ideas, song lyrics, and/or cd of the songs. The title of this year’s program is “Winter Holiday Traditions from A-Z.”
RE Class Information and Guide Schedule
- RE Guide Schedule for December 14th: Beth M., Beth H., Sarah, Yiesul, Wendy, Neil, Susannah, Amy, Julie, Kim (classes begin in RE rooms)
- RE Guide Schedule for December 21st: Practice starts at 9am in the sanctuary. I could use as many guides to help with rehearsal and costumes.
- My e-mail address has changed to email@example.com.
- We are in need of RE guides, shadows, subs, workshop teachers, and other volunteers. Please let me know if you are interested. There is a sign up sheet in the fellowship hall on the RE bulletin board.
- I update the RE website weekly at http://regluu.wordpress.com/. Check it out and give me your feedback.
- Materials Needed (can be dropped off in DRE office): reindeer antlers (to fit prek/k class), baby doll to represent baby Jesus, Santa hats, small garden gnome, fake beard, bells, straw basket of fruit (can be fake fruit), straw mat, ear of corn, handmade book or gift, Unity cup
- The OWL program will be starting up in January for 7th-9th grades. Please let me know if you’d like more information.
- December 13 (Christmas Jubilee)
- December 21 (holiday program)
- January 15 (Puccini’s Night fundraiser) More information to follow.
-- Nicole Rice, Director of Religious Exploration
Sunday December 14 after service to vote on 2015 proposed budget. Quorum of 25% full membership needed to pass vote (46 people).
Under Our Roof
It is with sorrow that we inform you of the deaths of Dean and Dorothy Coder, parents of long-time member Cathy Coder. Dorothy passed away Monday afternoon, December 8; her husband died in the early hours of the morning on Tuesday, December 9, both at St. Anthony Healthcare. They resided in Grand Rapids, Michigan until very recently, when they moved to University Place in West Lafayette. We extend our heartfelt sympathy, prayers and warm thoughts for healing to Cathy, her husband Mark and their family. A memorial service will follow in the springtime at a park in Ohio where their family has enjoyed reunions for several years.
Winter Solstice Service
Winter Solstice Service takes place Dec. 19, 7:00- 8:30 p.m. in the Fellowship Hall. Join us for this candlelit evening of song and celebration. Walk the spiral of pines in observation of the longest evening of the year, honoring light’s awaited return. This is a family friendly event; refreshments will be provided.