- Sunday Forum 9 am; Sunday Service and Religious Exploration Classes 10:30 am.
- Nursery and childcare available.
- Read or print this newsletter as a pdf. Some additional information is posted here, including the monthly calendar of events at the church.
Sunday February 22
- FORUM, 9 AM Jay Melosh, Purdue University Distinguished Professor, Department of Earth and Atmospheric Planetary Sciences, presents “Comets and the Solar System: Old Ideas and New Exploration.” Our ancestors long regarded comets as sure signs of impending disaster. Four hundred years of rational scientific study, however, has replaced dread by wonder at the rare but beautiful appearances of comets in our skies. We now believe that comets are conglomerations of ice (water ice, CO2 ice and others) and rock dust that formed in the outer reaches of our solar system before the Earth existed. They were scattered even farther from the sun as the motion of Jupiter and Saturn rearranged the outer solar system and have remained in deep freeze far beyond the orbits of Pluto, Eris or even Sedna until recently. As comets finally approach the sun, evaporating ice and dust paint the night sky with the ghostly light that so distressed our ancestors. At the center of these vast displays lies a tiny (by planetary standards) nucleus of solid material. Spacecraft have now imaged six of these remarkable objects, the most recent being the Rosetta mission’s ongoing reconnaissance of Comet Churyumov-Gerasimenko. Surprisingly, all of the known comets appear different. In this Forum Melosh will discuss the most recent results from Rosetta and indicate what it has taught us about the early history of our solar system. Forum is co-chaired by Jim Anderson, Tom McConville and Bill Welge.
- SERVICE, 10:30 AM: Rev. Daniel Charles Davis presents, “Reflection on Footprints.” Bert Clever, son of UU member Ingrid Clever, wrote a poem called “Footprints.” It begins: “River, come river come wash my burning feet, come river wash my toes, please come river, I need your cool length, your long song now as never before.” What footprints will we leave beside the river of life? Worship Associate, Bill Welge. Sound, Gary Mueller. Pulpit Preparation, Nina Kirkpatrick. Fellowship Team Leaders: Josh & Linda Prokopy.
- February birthday party following Service!
Sunday March 1
- FORUM, 9 AM Johanna Merritt Wu presents, “The Baha'i Faith: Its Principles and How it Addresses Problems in Today's World.” Johanna Merritt Wu, a member of the Bahá'í Faith, is an organizational psychologist specializing in leadership and team work. She is a co-author of “Marriage Can Be Forever==Preparation Counts!” She served at the Bahá’í World Center in Israel, and has also enjoyed other Bahá’í capacities, in Ireland, England, Barbados, and
Romania. Johanna and her husband, Steven Wu, live in West Lafayette, where Steve is a professor of Agricultural Economics at Purdue. They have a nine year old daughter, Haley Grace. Forum is co-chaired by Jim Anderson, Tom McConville and Bill Welge.
- SERVICE, 10:30 AM Worship Leader Rev. Daniel Charles Davis presents “Baha'i 19 Day Fast,” sermon description forthcoming. Worship Associate & Pulpit Preparation, Michael Lewis. Pianist, Sarah May. Sound, Jason Dufair. Fellowship Team Leader, Julia Colby. Joys & Sorrows will be observed.
Child and Youth Religious Exploration Weekly Notes
Last week, the students learned about some influential UUs throughout history. This week, we’ll explore our impact on the world through learning how to reduce our carbon footprint.
RE Class Information and Guide Schedule for February 22nd: (children begin in service)
- Prek/k: Andrew
- 1st/2nd: Andrea and Lola
- 3rd/4th: Wendy and Yiesul
- 5th: Neil (Reminder that students will be painting.)
- 6th-8th: Sarah and Frank
- 9th-12th: Kat and Jason
- Shadows: Michelle and Lynn
Important Reminders and Upcoming Events
- February 22nd- becoming a shadow and working with students with special needs (9:45-10:15) in the DRE office
- February 22nd- nursery volunteer and employee training (12:30-1:30)in room 101/103
- February 22nd- February birthday celebration in the fellowship hall following service