- Sunday Forum 9 am; Sunday Service and Religious Exploration Classes 10:30 am.
- Nursery and childcare available.
- Read or print this newsletter as a pdf. Some additional information is posted here, including the monthly calendar of events at the church.
Sunday February 15
- FORUM, 9 AM Amy French, Denise Laussade, and Eric Thiel, long-time members of the UU Church will discuss the UU Church Endowment fund. Forum is co-chaired by Jim Anderson, Tom McConville and Bill Welge.
- SERVICE, 10:30 AM Worship Leader Kris Taylor presents “Selfies and their Relationship to Spirituality.” We live in a society increasingly obsessed with the need to be somebody special—to be liked, followed or friended. In this service we’ll explore these recent social trends and the implications for spirituality, as framed by Lama Marut in his recent book, “Be Nobody.” Using a backdrop of the teachings of the world’s major religions, it may be that being nobody is the path we should choose. Worship Associate, Michael Lewis. Pianist, Sarah May. Sound, Gary Fowler. Pulpit Preparation, Robin Poindexter. Note: This service was originally scheduled for February 1, 2015 and was cancelled due to inclement weather.
Sunday February 22
- FORUM, 9 AM Jay Melosh, Purdue University Distinguished Professor, Department of Earth and Atmospheric Planetary Sciences, presents “Comets and the Solar System: Old Ideas and
New Exploration.” Our ancestors long regarded comets as sure signs of impending disaster. Four hundred years of rational scientific study, however, has replaced dread by wonder at the rare but beautiful appearances of comets in our skies. We now believe that comets are conglomerations of ice (water ice, CO2 ice and others) and rock dust that formed in the outer reaches of our solar system before the Earth existed. They were scattered even farther from the sun as the motion of Jupiter and Saturn rearranged the outer solar system and have remained in deep freeze far beyond the orbits of Pluto, Eris or even Sedna until recently. As comets finally approach the sun, evaporating ice and dust paint the night sky with the ghostly light that so distressed our ancestors. At the center of these vast displays lies a tiny (by planetary standards) nucleus of solid material. Spacecraft have now imaged six of these remarkable objects, the most recent being the Rosetta mission’s ongoing reconnaissance of Comet Churyumov-Gerasimenko. Surprisingly, all of the known comets appear different. In this Forum Melosh will discuss the most recent results from Rosetta and indicate what it has taught us about the early history of our solar system. Forum is co-chaired by Jim Anderson, Tom McConville and Bill Welge.
- SERVICE, 10:30 AM Rev. Daniel Charles Davis presents “Reflection on Footprints.” Bert Clever, son of UU member Ingrid Clever, wrote a poem called “Footprints.” It begins: “River, come river come wash my burning feet, come river wash my toes, please come river, I need your cool length, your long song now as never before.” What footprints will we leave beside the river of life? Worship Associate, Bill Welge. Sound, Gary Mueller. Pulpit Preparation, Nina Kirkpatrick. Fellowship Team Leaders: Josh & Linda Prokopy.
CHILD AND YOUTH RELIGIOUS EXPLORATION
Last week we will explore the topic of how to become more selfless and make connections with the people around us in an ever-changing world. Next week, we’ll continue our monthly “green conservation” project with a lesson on reducing your carbon footprint.
RE Class Information and Guide Schedule
- RE Guide Schedule for February 15th: (children begin in service) Kathy Coder will be the DRE sub today!!!
- Prek/k: Lorraine and Andrew or Alison M.
- 1st/2nd: Beth and Andrea
- 3rd/4th: Yiesul
- 5th: Susannah
- 6th-8th: Sarah and Frank
- 9th-12th: Kim and Kat
- Shadows: Lynn and Michelle
- RE Guide Schedule for February 22nd: (children begin in service)
- 1st/2nd: Andrea
- 3rd/4th: Yiesul and Wendy
- 5th: Neil
- 6th-8th: Sarah and Frank
- 9th-12th: Jason and Kat
- Shadows: Lynn and Michelle
- Please see the RE bulletin board in the fellowship hall and http://regluu.wordpress.com/ for important RE information and announcements.
- We are in great need of guides, subs, and shadows for the RE program. We only need 24 more volunteers to allow guides to only commit to one Sunday a month. Please find me at the volunteer table following service if you’re interested in volunteering or getting more information.
- Interested in becoming a guide, shadow, sub, or volunteer? Have a child in RE and want to find out more about the program? Are you a guide who wants to explore interesting and relevant topics for the RE classroom? If so, one or more of these sessions may be for you…
- Sunday, February 22nd- (9:45-10:15 in the DRE office) Becoming a shadow and working with students with special needs
- Sunday, February 22nd- (12:30-1:30 in room 101/103) Nursery volunteer and employee training (Please note that you must be at least eleven years old to volunteer and thirteen years old to work in the nursery.)
- Sunday, March 1st- (12:30-1:30 in room 101/103) Volunteer callout and RE parent informational meeting!!! Come learn more about the RE program and find out about ways to help out and volunteer in the RE classroom
- Sunday, March 22nd- (9:45-10:15) Responsive classroom as it relates to the RE classroom (strategies for community building, holding classroom meetings, social curriculum)
- Please let me know if you have a special interest in any of the following topics: trees, gardening, and/or pollution. We will be doing monthly spirit circles and would love some experts to share information and lead the lesson.
- I am beginning to plan RE programming for the summer. Anyone interested in teaching a workshop or helping out, please let me know.
- Please come out and support Lilly Rode this weekend. She’ll play a detective in the production of “Retreat,” showing February 13th-15th at the Civic Theatre. As they say in show business, break a leg, Lilly!
- Our first birthday celebration was a success. The February birthday party will be on Sunday, February 22nd following service. If you have a February birthday, make sure to turn in a birthday sheet in the DRE mailbox and RSVP to email@example.com.
- February 24 (Scotty’s Brewhouse fundraiser) All you have to do is bring in a flyer and the church will receive 10% of the profits for your meal purchase. Flyers are located in the narthex or you can stop by my office to pick one up.
RE birthday recognition!
Our first birthday celebration was a success. The February birthday party will be on Sunday, February 22nd following service. If you have a February birthday, make sure to turn in a birthday sheet in the DRE mailbox and RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.