What We Offer Through the Lifespan
We provide children, youth, young adults, and adults an opportunity to explore, reflect, and learn in a nurturing spiritual community. Unitarian Universalist religious education programs offer all ages, inspiring:
- Ethical growth – internalizing enduring values like justice, equity, and compassion, and gaining tools to act on them in everyday life.
- Social growth – connecting with peers and people of all ages on a deeper level. Finding acceptance among people who see beyond the superficial.
- Spiritual growth – feeling a connection with the sacred within, among, and beyond us.
Children preschool age and up are invited to join their parents in the sanctuary for the worship service. Children who wish to participate in R.E. are encouraged to begin in the sanctuary and stay through the “time for all ages” segment of the worship service. After time for all ages children are sung out to go to their religious exploration classes.
Occasionally, there will be “multi-generational" or "all ages” worship services scheduled. On those Sundays, there will be no R.E. classes.
RE classes are typically from 10:45-11:45 (see the typical schedule below). The children usually begin in service and then participate in an activity called “Time For All Ages” before being dismissed to classrooms. Classrooms are as follows:
- Room 206: Pre-K-1st Grade This group typically begins with a sharing circle and then the children can choose from a variety of materials to build, create, play, and learn together as a community.
- Room 210: 2nd-5th Grade This group typically begins with a sharing circle and then the children build community by exploring thematic topics and community service.
- Room 214: 6th-9th Grade This group works together to build community through service projects, youth led services, fundraising, and deep discussion of world events.
- Room 102: 10th-12th Grade This group works together to build community through service projects, youth led services, fundraising, and deep discussion of world events.
Room 212: REsource room This is a room that can be utilized by anyone at UUCTC, but it is especially helpful for our RE volunteers. You will find games, puzzles, blocks, instruments, curriculum resources, books, banner and world religion bags (available for check out), etc.
- We have banner bags on the following themes: Black Lives Matter, Women Have Agency Over Their Bodies, Climate Change is Real, Love is Love, No Human Being is Illegal, All Genders are Whole, Holy, and Good
- We have world religion bags on the following: Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism, Bahai, Islam, Buddhism, Unitarian Universalism
Typical classroom schedule
- 10:30-10:45 Begin in service for “Time for All Ages.”
- 10:45-11:00 Join DRE in resource room for sharing circle.
- 11:00-11:45 Join volunteers in classrooms for RE time.
These are just some of the special events that typically take place at UUCTC throughout the year. Events/schedule is subject to change. Not all events happen each year.
- January- NYE celebration and creating vision boards, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- February- Valentine making spirit circle, Service auction
- March- Spring break
- April- Youth led service/lock in, Earth Day, Chicago trip, Plant sale, Egg hunt
- May- Flower Communion, Volunteer recognition, Bridging service, Rummage sale, Yearbook
- June- Summer camp (workshops), Picnic/tie dying, Bike interest group
- July- Summer camp (workshops), Bike interest group
- August- Water communion, Getting to know you/icebreakers, Scavenger hunt/classroom tours, Covenant, RE volunteer/nursery training
- September- UUCTC retreat
- October- Blessing of the Animals, Halloween party/haunted house
- November- Stone Soup, Talent show
- December- Jubilee, Holiday program, Giving Tree carnival, Art fair